How To Format a Memory Card Using CMD?
CMD is the command prompt in your Windows
Yes, of course, you can format your memory card using the Command Prompt application. It is the native command-line utility tool in Windows that lets us communicate with the operating system bypassing certain commands. In case if the interface of Windows is not working the usual way, then you can just launch Command Prompt to format the SD card.
Use the Disk Partition Utility Command
Diskpart, which is the command for the Disk Partition utility is the inbuilt tool in Windows that can help us format the SD card in the format of our choice. To do this, you can just connect your memory card to your computer and follow these steps:
1. Firstly, just go to the Start menu and look for Command Prompt. Right-click the application icon and launch it as an administrator. Also, make sure that your memory card is connected to the system beforehand.
2. Now, just type the command “
diskpart” and press enter to launch the Disk Partition utility application.
3. Great! Once the Disk Partition utility is launched, you can type and enter the “list disk” command.
4. This will display a list of all the disks (internal and external) that are connected to your system. From here, just note down the disk number of your memory card.
5. Before you format the memory card, you need to mark it. For this, enter the select command followed by the number of the disk. For example, if the disk was marked as number 3, then enter the “
select disk 3” command.
That’s it! Once the memory card is selected, enter the command “clean” to wipe all the data stored on your card. This would be followed by the “create partition primary” command to create a primary partition on it.
7. In the end, enter the format command followed by the file system (like NTFS or exFAT). For instance, to format the memory card in the NTFS file system enter the command “
In this way, you can easily format your memory card in a preferred file system. As you know, it will also erase all the stored data from your SD card as well. If you have lost your important files in the process, then you can consider using a reliable data recovery tool like Recoverit Data Recovery.
Just install the application, select your SD card which has been formatted, and scan in. The application will let you preview the extracted data from the memory card (that was previously deleted) and restore it to a secure location.