Discover more from HardwareSavvy
How to Turn a USB Drive into Extra RAM
It's not a bad idea to turn an extra USB stick into extra memory for your computer, allowing it to run speedier and manage more applications better.
If your computer seems slow, and you have already done all the necessary checks like making sure there are no viruses or adware on the system, it may be because your system needs more RAM.
RAM (Random Access Memory) is hardware in a computing device where the operating system (OS), application programs, and data in current use are kept so they can be quickly reached by the device's processor. RAM is the main memory in a computer. It is much faster to read from and write to than other kinds of storage, such as a hard disk drive (HDD), solid-state drive (SSD).
RAM can easily be added to your system if you are not already at maximum capacity for your motherboard, and you have available slots. However, RAM can get expensive, and before you spend any money or dig for a screwdriver and open up your system to check the slot and put new RAM , the easiest way to using a flash drive as additional RAM is a quick, easy and cheaper way to increase system memory.
1. To use the flash drive as additional RAM for your system format the drive in NTFS format.
2. We recommend using at least a 32 GB USB drive. Though, 64 GB is the most preferred option.
Once the drive is formatted, follow the next steps-
Use ReadyBoost to increase the RAM:
1. First, press Windows key+E together.
2: Then, to see all the drives on your computer, you need to click on “This PC“.
3. When you see your USB driver, right-click on it and, click on “Properties“.
4. Then in the Properties window, go to the “ReadyBoost” tab.
5. Select the option “Use this device“.
6. Now, you can increase or decrease the amount of RAM by adjusting the slider.
7. Now, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes.
That’s it! You have successfully increased the amount of RAM on your computer. This will speed up the system.